THE ANIMAL WHY BOOK
by W.P. Pycraft
Illustrated by Edwin Noble
Published by Wells Gardner, Darton & Co. Limited. 1st. 1909
Almost very good condition. Large format. Brown cloth spine, paper boards with onlay to front cover and orange titles. 15 tipped-in vivid colour plates (2 panels to each page), plus b/w vignettes.
Spine and corners bumped and worn. Cover edges rubbed. Covers slightly grubby and marked with a small piece missing to corner of onlay. Inscription in ink to front endpaper has been partially erased (causing slight paper damage). Creases to some page margins and a couple of plates, a couple of marks to front endpapers. Otherwise contents bright and clean.
Stock no. 380042
- Why the Sheep has a Woolly Coat
- Why do Cows chew the Cud?
- Why are the Horns of Deer branched?
- Why does the Goat wear a Beard?
- Why has the Horse but a single Toe on each Foot?
- Why has the Pig a Long Snout?
- Why does a Rabbit have a White Tail?
- Why is the Hare called 'Puss'?
- Why does a Squirrel build a Nest?
- Who do Cats' Eyes alter with the Light?
- Why is the Badger striped?
- Why does a Fox wear a Brush?
- Why does the Sheep-dog have a Bob-tail?
- Why does the Otter have Small Eyes and the Seal Large Ones?
- Why do Bats fly by Night?
- Why is the Dress of the Cockerel Smarter than that of the Hen?